An inspiring travel guide to Anse Source D’Argent, one of the most beautiful and most famous beaches on La Digue Island, The Seychelles.
Everyone has seen photographs of the iconic granite rock formations, white sand, and turquoise lagoon waters from The Seychelles’ poster boy; Anse Source D’Argent. Now, it’s time to make a visit here to witness this tropical wonder for yourself!
In this guide, I’ll outline everything you need to know about the most famous beach in the Seychelles; Anse Source D’Argent, located on La Digue Island. I’ll also include photographs that I hope will inspire you to visit.
Featured in: 8 Best Beaches on La Digue
- How to Get To Anse Source D’Argent
- About Anse Source D’Argent
- Visiting Anse Source D’Argent – The Most Famous Beach in the Seychelles
- Where to Stay on La Digue
- Some More Photos from La Digue’s Most Iconic Beach
- More Travel Inspiration from the Seychelles
How to Get To Anse Source D'Argent
Anse Source D'Argent is located on the west coast of La Digue Island in the Seychelles. It is part of L'Union Estate and you will therefore need to pay the entrance fee of SRC 115 to gain access to Anse Source D'Argent beach. In fact, this beach is the only one on La Digue where you will need to pay a fee to access.
Getting here is very easy as La Digue is the smallest of the three popular islands to stay at. As a result, the best way to get around is to simply rent a pushbike and ride here on the sealed roads connecting the villages, hotels and resorts.
I stayed at the incredible Chateau St Cloud and they arranged a bike for me during my visit. Otherwise, you can rent a bike almost anywhere for SRC 100-150 per day.
Visitors will find the beach at the end of the estate. Don't worry, there are signs everywhere leading you through the coconut trees, past the giant tortoises and straight onto the white-sand beach. You can ride your bike all the way through the estate up to a point right before Anse Source D'Argent, where you can park it free of charge.
The Ultimate Seychelles Travel Resource
Looking for more Seychelles travel guides and inspiration? Below are my most comprehensive guides that will serve as a great resource for your trip.
Related: La Digue Hikes – 6 Best Hiking & Nature Trails
About Anse Source D'Argent
Anse Source D'Argent has often been described as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and also holds the title of being one of the world's most photographed beaches. It's no wonder then why it's also the most popular beach to visit in the Seychelles.
What makes it unique is the shallow, clear-water lagoon that wraps its shores and of course, those beautifully weathered granite boulders. The Seychelles are the only mid-oceanic granitic islands in the world, which means you won't find beaches like this anywhere else.
Best Travel Insurance for Seychelles
Important: All visitors to Seychelles must show proof of travel insurance covering expenses related to COVID-19. One of the best offerings with COVID inclusion is from Safetywing, which has cover starting at under $50.
Visiting Anse Source D'Argent - The Most Famous Beach in the Seychelles
Once you arrive, you'll find a clear path leading behind the boulders and onto the beach. There's a small hut right at the entrance to the beach beside two of the largest boulders. If you continue on, you'll find plenty of space to stretch out a towel. Additionally, there is a small hut where you can purchase drinks and fresh fruit.
As you walk along the shores, keep an eye out for some of the famous rock formations including shark rock, the Coco De Mer Rock and the kissing rocks.
Swimming at Source D'Argent is best at high-tide since the lagoon almost dries up during low-tide. The lagoon is sheltered from the Indian Ocean beyond, making it one of the safest beaches to swim at on the island.
Unfortunately, much of the coral in the lagoon has been bleached from the El Nino event but you can still potentially spot a cruising turtle and plenty of fish swimming in the shallows.
Tip: Visit Anse Source D'Argent early (before 10am) if you want to get a spot to yourself. This is one of the most popular beaches on the island and can get very busy in peak-season.
Is Anse Source D'Argent the Best Beach on La Digue?
Of course, Anse Source D'Argent is a marvel and incredible photogenic. I can certainly say that it's the most popular and most famous beach on La Digue Island. However, there are many more beaches that you should definitively check out, including Grand Anse, Anse Cocos and of course, the secluded Anse Marron.
Where to Stay on La Digue
La Digue is quite a small island and you can get anywhere on a bicycle within 20-30 minutes. You'll find a lot of hotels on the west side of the island near the jetty but only a few along the narrow stretch of coastal road on the mostly inhabited eastern side.
On La Digue, there are a wide variety of hotel and resort offerings ranging from relatively "budget friendly" self-catering lodges to incredible luxury resorts.
Below is a quick summary of the best picks.
- Amazing Chateau: Hotel Chateau St Cloud (Mid-Range) - This is where I stayed on La Digue and I can personally recommend it as one of the best accommodation options on the island. This three-star hotel is perfect as a mid-range option as the location is excellent– just a little out from the main area on a quiet street that is close enough to both the incredible southwest beaches and the port.
- Waterfront Hotel: Le Nautique (High-end) - Rated as one of the best waterfront accommodations on La Digue, Le Nautique is a luxurious offering combining traditional Creole architecture with modern comforts including king-sized beds and rain-showers. Here, you'll also discover an amazing outdoor restaurant and beautiful garden surrounds.
- Self Catering: Dream Holiday (Budget) -located on the northern end of the island very close to the ferry terminal. Offers queen rooms with air-conditioning, TV, private bathrooms, and even a balcony. This is a great option if you're visiting La Digue on a budget while comfort and location are still a priority for you.
- ...9+ more top hotel picks on La Digue
Some More Photos from La Digue's Most Iconic Beach
More Travel Inspiration from the Seychelles
I hope that you've enjoyed this quick guide to visiting Anse Source D'Argent, the most famous beach on La Digue, the Seychelles. While you're here, make sure to check out some of my other articles. You'll find a few inspiring posts from La Digue and the rest of the Seychelles to get you pumped for your trip. If you're looking for another beautiful beach, check out Grand Anse.