Anse Major is one of Mahe Island’s most beautiful beaches. Discover everything you need to know about how to get here, including hiking the Anse Major Nature Trail in the Seychelles.
Looking for the most beautiful beach on Mahe Island, the Seychelles? You’ve found it.
Anse Major beach is a pristine, white sand beach with crystal clear, deep, turquoise water. You’ll find it located on the northwestern end of Mahe Island in the Seychelles. However, to get here, you’ll need to complete a relatively short but very rewarding nature trail hike.
In this guide, I’ll give you the rundown of exactly how to get to Anse Major. I’ll also include my photographs and some information on what to expect.
- Where is Anse Major?
- How to Get to The Anse Major Nature Trail
- Anse Major Hike – Nature trail
- Anse Major Beach
- More Photos of Anse Major Beach on Mahe Island
- Where to Stay on Mahe Island
- More Inspiration for the Seychelles
Where is Anse Major?
Anse Major beach is located on the northwestern coast of Mahe Island, the Seychelles. It's considered one of the most remote beaches on the island and it is not accessible via road transport.
If you don't feel comfortable hiking on Mahe Island independently, then you can book a guided nature trail tour to Anse Major instead on Viator. This guide is licensed and has hiked to this beach over 1000 times.
How to Get to The Anse Major Nature Trail
The Anse Major trail picks up at the end of Bel Ombre Road near the village of Bel Ombre. If you enter "Calm Sorento" on Google Maps, you'll find the pin very close to where the Anse Major trailhead begins.
To get here, you'll need to either get a taxi or jump on the bus that runs nearly all the way to the end of Bel Ombre Road from Beau Vallon (14 SCR). If you tell the bus driver you want to hike to Anse Major, they'll know where to drop you off.
As I was staying at the nearby Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort, I just walked the length of Bel Ombre Road to the start of the trail instead.
More: 12 Best Beaches on Mahe
Anse Major Hike - Nature trail
- Hiking Distance: 4.2 kilometers (2.6 miles) return
- Duration: 1.5-2 hours return
- Elevation: 206 meters total elevation gain
- Difficulty: Easy-moderate
The Anse Major nature trail begins by climbing a short set of steps at the end of the road before ducking into a dense forested area.
Get Safe Drinking Water Anywhere!
Enter the Grayl GeoPress Water Filter & Purifier Bottle! I take this bottle on every hike and use it as my go-to source for filtering water all over the world. I've even used it to drink tap water in India!
// Compare how the GeoPress stacks up against the best water bottle filters on the market.
This nature trail hike is quite flat throughout, with short sections of undulation. The main elevation difference is the descent down to Anse Major once you arrive.
Furthermore, there are signposts at every possible turn on the way. So it is very difficult to get lost.
At a fairly fast pace, I was able to make it to Anse Major in about 30 minutes from the end of the driveway. However, if you're taking your time to enjoy the palm forests and tropical scenery on the way, you'll likely take a bit more time.
If you're getting thirsty, there's a natural water source with clean water flowing approximately 700 meters from the start. You'll spot it beside a small bridge.
Related: Best Hikes on La Digue Island
The Ultimate Seychelles Travel Resource
Looking for more Seychelles travel guides and inspiration? Below are my most comprehensive guides that will serve as a great resource for your trip.
What to Expect on the Anse Major Nature Trail
Along with Morne Blanc, the Anse Major trail is one of the most scenic hikes on the island of Mahe, and perhaps even in all of the Seychelles.
While it is only a short walk, it has great variety. What I mean by this is that one moment you'll be walking through a dense tropical jungle and the next along huge granite slabs overlooking the Indian Ocean.
For much of the Anse Major trail you'll be following a large steep water pipe. This is a natural catchment to divert drinking water to people in the nearby villages.
As you approach the beach, you'll pass a small rundown Chalet and then a great viewpoint over the beach. This viewpoint is called Point de vue sur Anse Major.
Best Travel Insurance for Seychelles
Important: All visitors to Seychelles must show proof of travel insurance covering expenses related to COVID-19. One of the best offerings with COVID inclusion is from Safetywing, which has cover starting at under $50.
You'll find that there is a quaint, private and secluded beach just before the official Anse Major beach. This has a small swing and is a great spot to hang out.
Trail Map: My Strava
Anse Major Beach
Anse Major is one of the most beautiful and pristine beaches that I visited in the Seychelles. Its secluded nature and untouched paradise give it a deserted island vibe. The soft, white sand shore drops steeply into deep, turquoise water.
You'll find the beach is lined with coconut palms and there's a cleared section just behind the beach featuring a small beach bar. These guys are super friendly and cook up some great food and serve cold drinks.
If you're not a strong swimmer, I'd advise against swimming at Anse Major beach. That's because the water is very deep and currents and waves can be extremely strong. Coupled with the fact that this is one of the most remote beaches on Mahe– you've got yourself a dangerous combo!
Nevertheless, in calm conditions like what I experienced on my two visits to Anse Major, swimming is absolutely perfect!
The bottom is mostly sand with very little coral reef, so it's not that great for snorkeling. However, you will often spot some schooling fish swimming past.
More Photos of Anse Major Beach on Mahe Island
I hope that this travel guide has inspired you to visit this incredible beach on Mahe! Below are some more photos that I captured during my two visits to Anse Major.
More Amazing Beaches in the Seychelles
Looking for more beaches in the Seychelles? Below are similar guides to some of the best on Mahe, La Digue and Praslin.
Read: Best Beaches on La Digue
Read: Best Beaches on Praslin
Where to Stay on Mahe Island
Mahé is the main island and home to Victoria, the capital city of the Seychelles. It's the largest of the inner islands and has several great places to stay. Here is a quick area guide with the top 4 accommodation recommendations below.
- Victoria and Eden Island for nightlife
- Beau Vallon for beaches and restaurants
- Private islands for the ultimate island experience
Top Accommodation Picks
- Top pick on Mahé: Eden Bleu Hotel (Eden Island) - The Eden Bleu Hotel is one of the best places to stay if you're looking to be close to the Victoria and on Eden Island. It's an amazing contemporary hotel on the foreshore of Eden Island's prestigious marina.
- Mid-range resort: Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay Resort - This beautiful, beachfront resort and casino combo offers elegantly furnished rooms with all the facilities you could ever want. Here, you'll find a large pool, three restaurants, a pizzeria, a fitness center, PADI diving center, and a tennis court.
- Budget self-catering Studio: Precious Residence - If you want to explore Mahé on a budget, then self-catering accommodation is your best bet. Precious Residence is an apartment with excellent reviews (9.5/10), offering budget apartments equipped with free WiFi, air conditioning, and a kitchenette on Grand Anse (west coast).
- Ultimate getaway: JA Enchanted Island Resort - Looking for the ultimate Indian Ocean getaway? JA Enchanted Island Resort is an impeccably beautiful resort located on a tiny private island on the footsteps of the St Anne Marine Park.
- ...10+ More Top Recommendations in this guide to where to stay on Mahé
More Inspiration for the Seychelles
I hope that you've enjoyed this guide to visiting Anse Major and completing the beautiful nature trail hike to this fantastic Seychelles beach! While you're here on my blog, make sure to check out some of my other guides including my La Digue Island Guide and my Ultimate Guide to Praslin as well.