Millaa Millaa Falls is and arguably one of Australia’s most beautiful waterfalls. The complete guide to visiting Millaa Millaa Falls in the Atherton Tablelands from Cairns, Queensland.
Millaa Millaa Falls is a very accessible and picturesque plunging waterfall in the Tablelands Region near Cairns. This particular waterfall is known to be the most photographed waterfall in Australia! And, it’s not hard to see why. It truly is a perfectionist’s ideal, with perfect plunging water and a wide, round swimming pond at the base.
In this post, I’ll outline how to get to this primary waterfall on the popular Millaa Millaa waterfall circuit and what to expect once you arrive. I’ve also included some photos of the waterfall that I hope will inspire your visit to one of Australia’s most iconic drops.
How to Get to Millaa Millaa Falls
Millaa Millaa Falls is located in the Atherton Tablelands, close to the small township of Millaa Millaa. If you have your own car or transport, then it's a 1.5-hour drive from Cairns down the Bruce Highway and up the twists and turns of Gillies Range Road.
However, if you prefer directions, head south on the Bruce Highway from Cairns towards Gordonvale. Once you approach the obvious Walsh’s Pyramid, look out for signs to Atherton Tablelands over Gillies Range Road.
Follow this winding road all the way up to the Tablelands, pass the crater lakes and continue following signs south, just passed Malanda. Theresa Creek Road (the Waterfall Circuit Road) is just a minute or so from the small town.
There are very detailed signs to each waterfall on this road, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding Millaa Millaa Falls once you're on the road.
Once you reach the car park, the waterfall is right around the corner at the bottom of a few stone steps. It's really impossible to miss it.
Alternative: Best Waterfall Tour From Cairns
If you don't have your own transport, then it's also possible to take a waterfall tour from Cairns. While I didn't take a tour, the linked tour below offers the best value that I could find for a full-day tour that takes you to many different locations near Cairns.
The total tour duration is 10-11 hours and includes:
- Cairns Hotel Pickup
- English Speaking Tour Guide
- Hike in the Nearby Wooroonooran National Park
- Swim at Josephine Falls (one of my favourite waterfalls near Cairns)
- Swim at Millaa Millaa Falls
- Platypus spotting in Yungaburra
- Swim at Lake Eacham
What to Expect at Millaa Milaa Waterfall
The perfectly shaped waterfall cascades into a beautiful waterhole below. The scene seems to be tucked away in the dense surrounding rainforest, with tropical palms, ferns, and vines on each side.
Millaa Millaa Falls has a total waterfall height of 18.3 metres, and the waterhole is deep enough for swimming. This waterfall was also added to the Queensland Heritage Register back in 2005.
This waterfall definitely looks the part for a Tropical North Queensland waterfall. However, if you're looking for a surreal tropical waterfall at the end of a rainforest hike, then this might not be the one for you.
Millaa Millaa waterfall is understandably a popular destination, with tour buses stopping by daily.
There has also been a fair bit of development here, perhaps to make it a more attractive destination for weddings and events.
If you prefer a more secluded waterfall without any construction or development, I could highly recommend nearby Windin Falls, Dinner Falls, Little Millstream or the other two waterfalls on the Millaa Millaa waterfall circuit (below).
Featured in: Awesome Things to do in the Atherton Tablelands
#1 Water Bottle Filter
Enter the Grayl GeoPress Water Filter & Purifier Bottle! I take this bottle on every hike and use it as my go-to source for filtering water all over the world. I've even used it to drink tap water in India!
// Compare how the GeoPress stacks up against the best water bottle filters on the market.
Tip: Try to Spot a Platypus Near the Falls
Apparently, if you're extremely lucky and have a keen eye for spotting wildlife, then you might be able to spot a Platypus.
While I didn't spot a Platypus here, you might get lucky! Otherwise, a tip is to head to nearby Yungaburra. Here, there's a viewing platform above Peterson Creek where a bunch of the little guys live!
More Quick Tips for Visiting the Waterfall
Here are some quick tips for visiting Millaa Millaa Falls.
- Come Early - If you're driving yourself, make sure to come early. We arrived at first light to be able to capture some photos without the crowds. Sure enough, after about half an hour there were hordes of tourists lining up for that perfect waterfall selfie.
- Bring your swimmers - This one is a no-brainer. It's a beautiful waterfall and an even better place to swim!
- Don't miss the surrounding waterfalls - If you book a waterfall tour, then you'll probably already see some more. But, if you drive yourself, make it a waterfall day trip.
The Millaa Millaa Waterfall Circuit
Millaa Millaa Falls is the main attraction on the Tableland's Waterfall Circuit on Theresa Creek Road. In total, there are three very easily accessed waterfalls on this route, each only a few minute's drive away.
I've written more posts for each of these waterfalls, so if you're looking to check out more (I definitely recommend it), then you'll find these below. Furthermore, here's a quick summary and guide to the entire Waterfall Circuit.
Related: How to Spend 5 Days in Cairns
Cairns Accommodation Guide – Where to Stay
Visiting Cairns? The best places to stay are near the Cairns Esplanade or on the sunny Northern Beaches. Below are the top 4 options for varying budgets.
- Crystalbrook Riley - If luxury and location are what you're after, you can't beat the Crystalbrook Riley. This is the best 5-star resort in Cairns and features absolutely everything you'd expect from a Crystalbrook resort.
- Fitzroy Island Resort - Sleep out on one of the picturesque Great Barrier Reef Islands at Fitzroy Island Resort. Spending the night on the island can work out cheaper than staying in town and means you get more time to explore the reef, coral beaches and rainforest walking trails.
- Gilligan's Backpackers - The best backpacker option for a great vibe in Cairns. Great place to meet like-minded travelers and has facilities including a pool. air-con, a huge shared kitchen, and a great common area!
- Pepper's Beach Club - stay at the best beach resort in the heart of Palm Cove on the Cairns Northern Beaches!
More Photos from My Visit to Millaa Millaa Falls
I hope that this quick guide to visiting Millaa Millaa Falls has been useful in planning your adventures in the Tablelands and around Cairns. Looking for more inspiration? Here are some more Millaa Millaa falls photos that I hope will inspire your trip.
Otherwise, you'll find more nearby waterfalls in the links below. You can also check out my complete guide to the Best Waterfalls in Cairns, the best hikes, or this guide to the Best Things to do in Cairns.