A complete accommodation guide for where to stay in Dubrovnik. Includes a rundown of the best Dubrovnik neighborhoods and hotels for every budget!
They say that no visit to Croatia is complete without first visiting the Pearl of the Adriatic Sea. Known for its incredible walled Old City, stunning beaches, and as one of the best launching pads for Croatian island-hopping adventures, Dubrovnik is a must-visit destination on the Dalmatian Coast.
However, finding a good place to stay, let alone the best hotels in Dubrovnik for your budget can be a difficult task. That’s because this major Croatian tourist destination has boomed– with thousands of hotels, hostels, resorts, and guest houses now available to book.
That’s why, in this guide, I won’t just give you a rundown of the neighborhoods for where to stay in Dubrovnik, but I’ll also give you some hand-picked recommendations to make your visit a memorable one.
- If You’re in a Hurry: Here Are the Best Hotels in Dubrovnik
- Where to Stay in Dubrovnik: The 5 Best Neighborhoods
- 1. Dubrovnik Old City (Grad) – Stay in The Historic Walled City
- Pros & Cons of Staying in Dubrovnik Old City
- Best Hotels in Dubrovnik Old City
- 2. Ploce – The Best Place to Stay for Dubrovnik Beaches
- Best Hotels in Ploce
- 3. Pile – Quiet Dubrovnik Neighborhood
- Best Hotels in Pile
- 4. Gruž – The Best Place to Stay for Boat Trips Around Dubrovnik
- Best Hotels in Gruz
- 5. Lapad – The best place to stay for Family Vacations
- Best Hotels in Lapad
- After Dubrovnik: Visit Other Croatian Highlights
If You're in a Hurry: Here Are the Best Hotels in Dubrovnik
With a population of only around 42,000, Dubrovnik isn't a large city. However, it does attract over 1.5 million tourists every year. As a result, you can expect many great places to stay in Dubrovnik, including resorts, hotels, and hostels for every budget.
The best area to stay is in or close to the Old Town (Stari Grad, or Walled City). This is where you'll find most of the attractions and highlights. However, staying just outside the city, or in one of the beautiful cliffside resorts and hotels is also a great option.
Below are my top-rated accommodation picks for the city of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Bota Palace - Located in the center of the Old Town and a 3-minute walk from Buza Beach. This Bed and Breakfast offers beautifully decorated rooms, wifi, a kitchen, fridge, oven, and a la carte breakfast. A great pick for couples wanting to explore the city within the walls.
- Hostel Petra Marina - With direct access to the local bus stop right outside, this hostel is just 200 meters away from the port and the perfect place to stay for backpackers wanting to explore Dubrovnik.
- Rixos Premium Dubrovnik - A luxury choice for those wanting to relax in ultimate style. Modern-styled rooms with sea views and only a 2-minute walk to the beach. It offers a 2-story spa with features a Turkish bath and indoor pool.
Where to Stay in Dubrovnik: The 5 Best Neighborhoods
While adventurers looking for the best things to do in Dubrovnik will do well to pick a hotel close to the 16th-century old walled city, there are 4 more neighborhoods suited for different styles of travelers.
- Ploce - Located on the outer edge of the Old Town Walls Ploce is great for exploring the beaches and sea cliffs with incredible views over the Adriatic Sea.
- Pile - This is a much quieter area outside of Old Town Walls. It is still close to all of the main attractions and has many cafes, bars, and restaurants.
- Gruž Harbor - Perfect place for those catching or arriving from a ferry/cruise - great views over the sea
- Lapad - Bigger resort-styled hotels. A Great pick for families with children as there are lots to do around the coastline and beaches to explore.
Below I'll go into a quick rundown of why you would want to stay in each of these Dubrovnik neighborhoods, and give some hotel suggestions for each for various budgets.
1. Dubrovnik Old City (Grad) - Stay in The Historic Walled City
The Dubrovnik Old City is a UNESCO World Heritage Listed site, world-renowned for its 16th-century stone wall fortifications. This Old Town is the main attraction in this city, set on the edge of the crystal clear waters of the Adriatic Sea.
The majority of the buildings date back to at least the 18th century. The main street is called the Stradun, where you'll find vibrant local restaurants and cafes. Since there are no cars permitted in the Old City, everything is within walking distance, making it a great place to stay in Dubrovnik if you want to be close to the action.
Choosing a hotel in Dubrovnik's Old City also makes you feel like you're on the set of Game of Thrones– and that's because this was the GoT filming location for King's Landing!
Pros & Cons of Staying in Dubrovnik Old City
Can't decide if the Old City is the neighborhood for you? Here are some pros and cons you should be aware of.
- Beautiful cobblestone streets
- Hundreds of cafes and restaurants with delicious food choices
- Walking distance to the best Dubrovnik beaches like Banje Beach
- Plenty of Game of Thrones walking tours departing from this central location
- Very busy during the peak season (summer months)
- More expensive than other neighborhoods
- The best hotels sell out quickly
- They are smaller buildings and apartments which make it harder for families or large groups to stay as one
Best Hotels in Dubrovnik Old City
Here's a quick summary of the best hotels in Dubrovnik Old City. Continue reading for a detailed rundown with more photos!
Located on a quiet street in the Old City, St. Joseph's Boutique Hotel stands out as one of the best hotels around. The historic building has large rooms with stone walls and designs looking back at Dubrovnik's past history. The large luxurious baths definitely make it one of the best boutique hotels!
We found this hotel perfect for those wanting to explore the Old Town walls and be in a central location. St. Joseph's is just a minute's walk from Stradun Promenade and the beautiful Onofrio's Fountain. It's also just a short walk to Banje beach.
We also wanted to add that all units are fitted with a fully equipped kitchenette. Not that you will use it all too often, since the restaurant on-site has a truly excellent breakfast!
Couples looking for a luxurious 5-star hotel in the heart of Dubrovnik shouldn't look past the Pucic Palace, located in the center of Dubrovnik's Old City.
Featuring elegant rooms with stone walls, Pucic offers a once-in-a-lifetime Dubrovnik experience. Imagine seeing the iconic terracotta roofs and domed cathedral towers from your hotel bedroom window!
Included in your stay is a la carte breakfast with dinner and lunch options available at the onsite La Capella Terrace and Restaurant.
Conveniently located on the Stradun, the Bota Palace is an exceptionally reviewed (9.7/10) bed and breakfast that is one of the best accommodation options in Dubrovnik Old City.
This Bed and Breakfast offers beautifully decorated rooms, wifi, a kitchen, fridge, oven, and a la carte breakfast. A great pick for couples wanting to explore the city highlights including the historic buildings and iconic cliff bars.
A short 300m from Buza beach and 100m from the captivating walls of Dubrovnik.
2. Ploce - The Best Place to Stay for Dubrovnik Beaches
Ploce pronounced (Ploch-eh) is perfect for those looking for a great Dubrovnik hotel pick close to the best beaches and incredible sea view rooms. Located only a few minutes' walk from the Old City Walls Ploce has everything you need and offers the most incredible views over the sea.
Surprisingly this area is much quieter than the bustling Old Town which we believe is due to the steep surroundings. Although it is breathtakingly beautiful it is not for those who have fitness or mobility limitations.
Ploce is an 8-10 minute walk to the cable car which can take you to the best views over Dubrovnik or alternatively you can get there by hiking the Mount Srd Hike.
Pros & Cons of Staying in Ploce
- It is close to the famous Banje Beach
- Imagine waking up to incredible views over the sea
- It is only a short walk to the Old Town of Dubrovnik
- There are lots of cafes, bars, and restaurants close by
- It is out of the hustle and bustle
- Close distance to the kayaking tours/hire from Banje Beach
- The prices are higher for accommodation
- There are lots of steep steps to the accommodation due to the location on the side of the mountain (do not stay here if you experience fitness or mobility limitations).
- It is further from the Old Town's historical monuments
Best Hotels in Ploce
If you're looking for a Dubrovnik hotel in Ploce, you should definitely consider Hotel Excelsior. Located just a 3-minutes walk to the beach and a 5-minutes walk to the Old Town of Dubrovnik, this luxurious hotel is truly spectacular.
The large rooms have modern amenities and 24-hour room service. You can wake up with views over the sea, and then proceed to enjoy the wellness retreat on-site, with 2 hot tubs, an indoor pool, and an 85m² spa and gym! Naturally, there also is a beautiful outdoor pool.
There are also 3 on-site restaurants with Mediterranean cuisine and an incredible sea view. For sure one of the nicest hotels in Ploce!
The Grand Villa Argentina is set on immaculate grounds with restaurants and bars overlooking the sea. Situated on the cliffside, this hotel boasts some incredible views of the sea, including sunsets!
The property has a historical ambiance with a dash of modern design built in the 1920s. Spacious rooms are fitted with air conditioning, wifi, TV, and a minibar. The spa center, sauna, and gym are also located conveniently on the property.
Why should you specifically pick this hotel? Grand Villa Argentina has a truly incredible outdoor swimming pool with sun beds for relaxing. For sun loungers enjoying the occasional spa treatment, it doesn't get better than this!
Villa Leoni is our top hotel pick for those wanting privacy and incredible views for a cheaper price in Dubrovnik. It's the perfect place if you are craving luxury and panoramic sea views, but don't want to spend the big bucks for some of the above-mentioned hotels.
The apartments are in traditional old-styled stone houses, with bright and modernly designed rooms. Air conditioning, TV, a private bathroom, and free wifi are available. There is also a fully equipped kitchen for those wanting to cook their own meals! Not that this is necessary of course, since many restaurants, cafes, and supermarkets are only a short 50 meters from the property.
Villa Leoni is located just a 2-minute walk from the popular Banje beach and a 4-minute walk from the MOMAD Museum of Modern Art Dubrovnik. Definitely not a bad location!
3. Pile - Quiet Dubrovnik Neighborhood
Pile is known for its easy access to the Old Town Walls and great restaurants and bars. It is the main area that busses and taxis pass through so public transport is always available. Due to this area being more of a residential zone, it tends to be a lot quieter than within the Old Town Walls.
Accommodation within this area of Dubrovnik is known to hold exceptionally high standards and all boast great reviews!
Pros & Cons of Staying in Pile
- Only a short walk to the old town Pile Gate entry
- Located in a quiet more residential area
- Restaurants and cafes and bakeries along the main road
- Cheaper accommodation and quieter streets
- Close to Gradac Park
- Close to the Swimming area at Plaża Danče Beach
- Further walk to Banje Beach
- Fewer views over the sea
- Minimal parking available
Best Hotels in Pile
With an astounding rating of 9.7 on Booking.com, the Heritage Villa Nobile is just something else. This family-run hotel was built in the 18th century and has just 6 rooms! You should therefore definitely book way in advance.
The beautifully designed rooms have large beds, wifi, a TV, and views over the city or the garden, where it's lovely to sit in the morning and enjoy breakfast. We found it to be a really charming atmosphere!
Heritage Villa Nobile is located just 140 meters from Pile Gate and the walls of Dubrovnik. It is located 550 meters from the cable car and just 800 meters from Banje beach. A really special hotel for sure!
The Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik was built in 1897 and has been popular ever since. As the Hilton name suggests, everything about this hotel is exceptionally well-done. No mediocrity to be found here!
The historically designed rooms are mixed with modern-day technology, which gives them a really nice feel. There are also large rooms that can accommodate families, and all have private bathrooms, air conditioning, a TV, and free wifi. Definitely some great guest rooms!
The Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik also has exceptional gym and wellness facilities on-site, including a spa, sauna, and massage. Close out the day in the Hilton restaurant, enjoying the panoramic views over the Adriatic Sea and the Dubrovnik Old Town walls.
Next up, we have Dubrovnik Finest Apartments. These modern-designed apartments stand out because they have lots of light. They all feature a kitchen, lounge, large beds, and a private bathroom. This makes it the perfect place for those wanting a longer stay since you have the ability to cook your own meals.
It must be said that Dubrovnik Finest Apartments have some of the best views of the Old Town and the city walls. Which is quite logical if you take a look at their location. Within just 30 meters from Pile beach and 80 meters from the Old Town walls themselves, these apartments are close to everything you would need, such as supermarkets, cafes, and some wonderful bakeries.
We should also add that luggage storage is available, and jetski and kayak rentals can be arranged on-site!
4. Gruž - The Best Place to Stay for Boat Trips Around Dubrovnik
If you're looking for a place that is easy to get to and from the harbor go no further than Gruz. This area is a great choice for those coming from or going on a cruise or sail. It is also a convenient option for those who want to stay out of the main area of Dubrovnik and experience a more laid-back atmosphere.
It is known for its large outdoor open-air fruit and vegetable markets and idyllic walks which follow the bay. Alternatively, you can also reach the Old Town of Dubrovnik on foot as it is 3km away.
Pros & Cons of Staying at Gruz
- Very close to the harbor
- Easy area to catch a boat, ferry, or cruise ship from especially Sail Croatia
- Quiet area with lots of restaurants, supermarkets, and bars
- Excellent fresh seafood for sale
- Close to the bus station for international or domestic travel
- Further from the Old Town of Dubrovnik and beaches
Best Hotels in Gruz
The Berkeley Hotel & Day Spa is a family-owned and run hotel just 2 kilometers from the Old Town. This makes it the perfect location for those wanting a quiet area with all necessities close by. Don't worry though, the public transport bus stop to Old Town is very close.
The modernly furnished rooms and apartments have beautiful views over the Adriatic Sea and the ferry port, which is a 10-minute walk from the property. The hotel also has many modern amenities, such as an on-site spa and massage, facials, body, and nail treatments.
Don't forget to try out the delicious buffet breakfast available each morning!
Just 2.5 kilometers from the Old Town and close to the harbor, we find the cozy Hotel Adria. With some incredible 360 panoramic views over the Elafiti Islands and Lapad Bay, this place is really something special.
Hotel Adria boasts an indoor and outdoor pool, a spa and wellness center on-site, and an exquisite restaurant with unbelievable views. Family rooms are also available which is a bonus for those traveling in a large group.
A great choice for those who wish to avoid the hustling crowds of the Old Town!
If the hotels mentioned above are a bit out of your price range, Hostel Petra Marina may be something for you. This wonderful place has an excellent atmosphere and works wonders for those wanting to meet new people and explore Dubrovnik.
They have a common terrace with sea views, dorm rooms with air conditioning, shared bathrooms, and a sea balcony with great views. Lockers are also provided to all guests.
We also found the location to be excellent, as there is direct access to the local bus stop right outside, and the property is just 200 meters away from the port. The perfect place to stay before your Sail Croatia tour! Last but not least, ATMs, cafes, bars, and supermarkets are all within walking distance.
An absolutely great pick for a budget hostel!
5. Lapad - The best place to stay for Family Vacations
Just a short drive away from the main town of Dubrovnik is Lapad. Lapad is a great option for those wanting to stay at larger resort-style accommodation choices or traveling in larger groups. Lapad boasts a beautiful pebbly beach which is a great spot to relax and unwind.
There are busses that run each day to and from the Old Town so there is no problem with getting around to see all of the wonderful sites and beaches that Dubrovnik has to offer.
The views over the sea for sunset here truly cannot be missed!
Pros & Cons of Staying in Lapad
- A quiet area with accommodation with incredible views over the sea
- Lots of bars, cafes, and restaurants
- Many different walking routes around the headlands to explore more of the coastline
- Easy to catch a bus to and from Old Town
- It has the beautiful Lapad Bay Beach
- More family-friendly resort-style accommodation choices available for large groups
- Further from Old Town and historical monuments
Best Hotels in Lapad
Still not sure where to stay in Dubrovnik? Then Rixos Premium Dubrovnik might be the answer for you! This highly-rated hotel has more amazing amenities than we could possibly list here, but let it be known: they have their very own casino!
Located beside the sea (incredible sunsets!), and just a short walk from the popular pebble Bellevue beach, the Rixos is a nice and quiet property. The modernly styled rooms all have air conditioning, wifi, and a private bathroom. Some private rooms have amazing panoramic views over the Adriatic Sea.
The hotel has a lot to offer: watersports, live music, aerobics, table tennis, tennis courts, a personal trainer, yoga, and a state-of-the-art two-story fitness and wellness center with Turkish baths! Besides that, there is also a kids club and multiple restaurants, some of which have teppanyaki!
Truly an amazing place that will never disappoint you!
We can't really describe Hotel Dubrovnik Palace better than the picture below: just look at that beauty! Located on the Lapad Peninsula, this hotel even has its own beach access with a scuba diving center!
The beautifully designed rooms with earthy colors all have a TV, minibar, large beds, a private bathroom, and views over the Elaphite Islands. Daily housekeeping ensures that everything stays wonderfully clean. Hotel Dubrovnik Palace has a spa facility with an indoor pool, outdoor pool, hot tub, steam room, fitness center, and private jogging paths around the facility.
Babysitting services are also available, which is perfect for those parents wanting a quick kid-free afternoon. For sure one of the best hotels on this list!
Last but not least we have Villa Boban. Also located on the Lapad Peninsula, close to Lapad Bay, this hotel is just a short walk away from the Old Fortress and many nice beaches. The area is rather quiet, but many nice restaurants and cafes are close by.
The brand new apartments with blue ocean designs and modern furniture all have a fully equipped kitchen with stove, fridge, TV, washing machine and dishwasher, air conditioning, wifi, and a balcony with some incredible views. We specifically liked the large beds, which were extremely comfortable.
We hope you enjoy your Dubrovnik trip and have a wonderful time at one of the listed hotels!
After Dubrovnik: Visit Other Croatian Highlights
I hope that this comprehensive accommodation guide featuring the top hotels in Dubrovnik has helped you plan where to stay in this amazing Croatian city! Before you head off, check out some of my other travel guides below!